Skip to main content

My First Tattoo


So, I got inked. And I love it!

I don't take tattoos lightly. When I was a teenager, I was sure I would get my first tattoo the second I turned eighteen. Good thing that didn't happen... Tattoos are, as you know, permanent. Before I stumbled upon sign language tattoos I had never found anything that I would permanently want inked on my skin. And when I found this design, I wanted to think it through. Would I regret it? Is it a bad idea? 

I'm not opposed to beautiful tattoos that people get just because. To each their own. However, I decided early on that if I was ever going to get a tattoo, it would have to mean something, and it would have to be a personal decision, and there for myself, not for anyone else. It would have to be in a place where I can show it, but a place I can also cover up if needed. No way was I going to get a tattoo that would insult somebody in any way. 

So, why this tattoo? I'm a very different person from who I was a year ago. With my progressing hearing loss, getting a hearing aid, learning sign languages (Finnish and American), and getting involved in the deaf and hard of hearing communities I have found a whole new world that I love. I've stated many times that Meniere's disease has, in a way, given me so much more than it has taken away. A global I Love You -sign represents my love for the new languages I'm learning, for the new cultures and communities, and for my identity as a hard of hearing person. 

<3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Others React To My Meniere's Disease

I had never heard of Meniere's disease before I found out I have it, so it wasn't really realistic for me to expect others to know what was going on with me. When I started telling people I have MD, the most common replies were: "Okayyy..?" "What's that?" "Neverheard" "A what disease?" "Ooh, what a cool name!" Yep. My chronic illness does have a cool name, I do agree. It's sad how Meniere's is so little known. My friends were interested in learning about it, but since my disease is pretty well under control and it doesn't have a direct affect on anyone besides myself, they tend to forget about it. They'll ask things like: "What was the name of that condition you have, again?" "You had some ear thing, right?" "Are your ears all better now?" I don't take it personally if someone I know forgets the name of my disease or if someone remembers the name but doesn&

Life Update

Hey guys! Sorry for not posting for a while. Everything else kinda got in the way... so, I wanted to take this chance to update you on what's been going on lately :) I've now been living with my hearing aid for about two weeks. The more days pass the more perks I'm noticing, so there's no way I would give it up anymore. However, I have been experiencing ear pain (most likely not because of the hearing aid), and it's stressing me out. My ears are so messed up, I feel like there's always something wrong with them. I have an appointment to see my audiologist in a couple of weeks, but I'll call her this week to see if I need to get another appointment with a doctor, too. I'll let you know what happens. School is also taking up a lot of my energy right now. My thesis alone gives me a headache. I'm getting more and more excited about graduation! I should graduate in May or June, depending on when I can hand in my thesis. The writing process is slo

Hearing Aid Update

I have been living with a hearing aid for about a month and a half now, so I thought I'd give you guys a little update on how everything is going. It's going pretty damn well! When I first got my hearing aid the ear piece was a very general one - one that could fit into anyone's ear. It worked fine, but it was itchy from time to time. At first I didn't notice too big of a difference with or without the hearing aid on, only some certain noises and stuff. It took a few weeks for my brain to adapt enough for me to be able to notice how my hearing drops when I take the hearing aid out. I also noticed how it helps with my tinnitus :) Almost a couple of weeks ago I got my own individual ear piece, and was introduced to whole new sounds! I didn't know there could be that big of a difference between the general ear piece and the individual one! I hear so much better now. The ear piece fits my ear perfectly (as it should, of course), and doesn't itch. Plus it