Skip to main content

How Others React To My Meniere's Disease

I had never heard of Meniere's disease before I found out I have it, so it wasn't really realistic for me to expect others to know what was going on with me. When I started telling people I have MD, the most common replies were:
"Okayyy..?"
"What's that?"
"Neverheard"
"A what disease?"
"Ooh, what a cool name!"

Yep. My chronic illness does have a cool name, I do agree.


It's sad how Meniere's is so little known. My friends were interested in learning about it, but since my disease is pretty well under control and it doesn't have a direct affect on anyone besides myself, they tend to forget about it. They'll ask things like:
"What was the name of that condition you have, again?"
"You had some ear thing, right?"
"Are your ears all better now?"

I don't take it personally if someone I know forgets the name of my disease or if someone remembers the name but doesn't remember what it actually is and does. For majority of the last five years even I sort of ignored the existence of Meniere's disease even though it's something that was gradually taking my hearing away. But, as an answer to the questions: Yes, I have an ear thing, and no, my ears are not all better now, but it's ok. I'm ok :)

If you're a friend of mine, or if you're someone who knows someone with Meniere's disease, perhaps a friend or a family member, do them a favor and find out what Meniere's disease is. It's in desperate need of visibility and research funding. If you need proof, just look at the picture below, posted on Facebook by Meniere's Awareness Project:


To put this in perspective, the funding for migraine research is currently $20 million, and for MS $98 million.

Yep... this disease sure has a cool name...



Comments

  1. Yes. Funding and research is needed. Even though Meniere's isn't a visible disease or so, it really affects on the person's life and the quality of it. It's good that you write this blog and there are others who give insight of Meniere's.

    For a long time I thought that everybody was familiar with type 1 diabetes and that it is simple to understand even for people who don't even have an acquaintance who's suffering from it. Now even in Finland there's people who offer miracle cures for it (there are none for type 1), think that you get diabetes for eating sugar and that if a person has low blood sugar, you have to take insulin. Nowadays I think every disease needs even a little bit of funding and awareness. For me it's irritating when people don't know the facts. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Not knowing the facts can even be dangerous if a person knows someone with type 1 diabetes, because they won't be able to help if something happens.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who Am I?

Launching a new blog is always exciting. I love blogging, and have been doing it since late 2010. If you want to check out my lifestyle/travel blog, click here . I have shared thoughts about my Meniere's disease over there, too, but decided creating a new blog dedicated to the subject made more sense, because I have a lot of thoughts and things to say. I'm excited about this blog, and looking forward to really getting it started. So, naturally, I want you guys to get to know me. My name is Iira, and I'm a 27-year-old business student from Finland. I'm on my last year of studies, and to be honest, I have no idea what I will do after graduation. I'm pretty good at winging it... eyeliner, and life. I currently work as a personal assistant and hope to move abroad at some point. I love traveling and writing. Simple things make me happy. Besides my business studies I've taken on Finnish sign language classes, and I love it! I'm also independently studying Am

What I Want You to Know About Me and My Life with Meniere's Disease

If you know someone with Meniere's disease, you should read this. If you know me, and are a part of my life, then you should definitely read this. 1. It's completely fine to ask me about anything related to my condition! I would rather have you ask than make assumptions. MD is not a sensitive subject to me, and I'm happy to fill in the gaps! 2. My condition is permanent. My hearing loss is permanent. Please don't ask me a year from now if my ear is all better - it won't be. There's no cure for MD, and this is something I'm stuck with until there is one. 3. If/when I say I can't hear you, I mean it. Please accommodate to that, and speak up, or write or type what you need to say to me. Or, if you know Finnish or American sign language, you can sign to me ;) 4. When I have vertigo, please know that it's quite debilitating. If I ask you to drive, it literally means my world is spinning out of control and you do not want me operating heavy mach