Skip to main content

The Power of Positivity

I have recently realized that I don't deal so well with major changes in my life. If I'm already stressed, even small changes give me major anxiety. For example, our family had three cars break down during one week in December. I did not take it too well :D My mom always tells me I have a tendency to see the worst in every situation. I'm working on that... Being negative and anxious takes everything out of me. I get exhausted in a matter of minutes, because of how consuming it is to be angry or sad about something I simply have no control over. Not being able to do anything about whatever it is that's bothering me just makes me more anxious.

So what's the point?

I don't want you to think of me as someone who's just plain telling you to stop feeling sad or anxious and start feeling happy. I have absolutely no credentials to do anything of the sort, and I think we all know that anyone who's saying they just stopped being negative and started being positive is full of bullshit. Life doesn't work that way. It takes time.


All I can say is that I'm trying. I have the voice of reason in the back of my head telling me that negativity gets me nowhere. I'd like to think that I'm learning to lean more toward positivity especially with my Meniere's disease. Here's the thing: there's no cure, and this disease sucks, BUT in my case it's well under control and I rarely get vertigo anymore. Sometimes I feel slightly unbalanced, and my ears are louder than the environment I'm in, I don't hear well in crowds, and occasionally my brain feels foggy and all that, but this is all something I have very little control over or none at all. So I have learned, over time, to kind of stop caring. When issues come up, I address them, but I try not to let them take over me. I know a lot of you experience Meniere's disease much worse than I do, and it probably takes a lot more effort to keep up a good attitude.

To be honest, I don't understand the over-powering negativity some people possess over themselves and their situations. If you're already dealing with something that has changed your life for the worse, whether it be Meniere's disease or something else, why make it even more worse by not allowing yourself to see the good things in life? Believe it or not, there's something good in your situation. It could be a new person you meet along the way, a new perspective on life, a whole new direction for your life, maybe you're able to help someone in a similar situation and be an encouragement to them, or maybe you've learned to appreciate the things you already have in a new way, or you will learn. If you're feeling like you're in the worst place in your life, then it can only be uphill from there, right?

I have never felt Meniere's disease ruined my life. I will write a whole post dedicated to how this disease has made my life a little better, and if you're someone who feels like this disease is the worst thing that's ever happened to you, I sincerely hope you will feel better about it some day. I can't promise you that it will happen, but I get inspired by other people's strength. A little part of me dares to hope that this blog will improve someone's day, even a little bit.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Others React To My Meniere's Disease

I had never heard of Meniere's disease before I found out I have it, so it wasn't really realistic for me to expect others to know what was going on with me. When I started telling people I have MD, the most common replies were: "Okayyy..?" "What's that?" "Neverheard" "A what disease?" "Ooh, what a cool name!" Yep. My chronic illness does have a cool name, I do agree. It's sad how Meniere's is so little known. My friends were interested in learning about it, but since my disease is pretty well under control and it doesn't have a direct affect on anyone besides myself, they tend to forget about it. They'll ask things like: "What was the name of that condition you have, again?" "You had some ear thing, right?" "Are your ears all better now?" I don't take it personally if someone I know forgets the name of my disease or if someone remembers the name but doesn&

Who Am I?

Launching a new blog is always exciting. I love blogging, and have been doing it since late 2010. If you want to check out my lifestyle/travel blog, click here . I have shared thoughts about my Meniere's disease over there, too, but decided creating a new blog dedicated to the subject made more sense, because I have a lot of thoughts and things to say. I'm excited about this blog, and looking forward to really getting it started. So, naturally, I want you guys to get to know me. My name is Iira, and I'm a 27-year-old business student from Finland. I'm on my last year of studies, and to be honest, I have no idea what I will do after graduation. I'm pretty good at winging it... eyeliner, and life. I currently work as a personal assistant and hope to move abroad at some point. I love traveling and writing. Simple things make me happy. Besides my business studies I've taken on Finnish sign language classes, and I love it! I'm also independently studying Am

What I Want You to Know About Me and My Life with Meniere's Disease

If you know someone with Meniere's disease, you should read this. If you know me, and are a part of my life, then you should definitely read this. 1. It's completely fine to ask me about anything related to my condition! I would rather have you ask than make assumptions. MD is not a sensitive subject to me, and I'm happy to fill in the gaps! 2. My condition is permanent. My hearing loss is permanent. Please don't ask me a year from now if my ear is all better - it won't be. There's no cure for MD, and this is something I'm stuck with until there is one. 3. If/when I say I can't hear you, I mean it. Please accommodate to that, and speak up, or write or type what you need to say to me. Or, if you know Finnish or American sign language, you can sign to me ;) 4. When I have vertigo, please know that it's quite debilitating. If I ask you to drive, it literally means my world is spinning out of control and you do not want me operating heavy mach